HOLLYWOOD FOREIGN PRESS ASSOCIATION®
GOLDEN GLOBE® AWARD CONSIDERATION
MOTION PICTURE _ SUBMITION
1. Feature-length films (70 minutes or longer) that have been both released and screened for the active membership in the greater Los Angeles area during the qualifying year (January through December).
2. Films must begin a seven-day run in Los Angeles prior to midnight, December 31, 2012.
3. Films that have been screened one year and not released that same year will not automatically be qualified for Golden Globe Awards consideration upon release.
1. All members qualified to vote for Golden Globe Awards should be invited to a screening of the eligible film in the greater Los Angeles area.
2. Screenings must take place any time before release date but no later than a week after the opening date of the film in the greater Los Angeles area. The deadline for screenings is the date given in the official 70th Golden Globe Awards Timetable.
3. In order to be included on the ballot, a film must have one "official screening" date cleared with the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA). Contact Yulia Dashevsky at 818-995-6600. Only one "official screening" date may be cleared with the MPAA.
4. The screening need not be exclusively for the members of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. A regular screening in a theater with the public (if the film is already released), a press screening, or a general screening would fulfill the requirement provided the members are invited.
5. In general, the invitations to a screening are sent directly to the members of the HFPA by the film's distributor or publicist. The office of the HFPA will provide a directory of the membership.
Best Motion Picture - Drama
Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Musicals shall be defined as a comedy or a drama where the songs are used in place of spoken dialogue to further the plot.
Best Animated Feature Film
Best Foreign Language Film
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Best Director - Motion Picture
Best Screenplay - Motion Picture
Best Original Score - Motion Picture
Best Original Song - Motion Picture: An original song consists of words and music, both of which are original and written specifically for the motion picture. All qualifying songs per film must be submitted.
The HFPA will make the final determination in all questions regarding entry submissions.
An entry form must be duly completed and returned to the HFPA no later than ten working days after the official screening date. To be listed on the official HFPA Reminder List all entry forms must be fully completed and submitted no later than the date given in the official Golden Globe Awards Timetable.
Only active members vote for the Golden Globe Awards. The voting is monitored by an accounting firm and is done in two phases - Nominations and Final vote.
A nomination ballot with a "Reminder list" of qualifying films is mailed to each eligible member requesting that he or she vote for up to five nominees in each award category. The completed ballot is returned directly to the accounting firm.
Once the nominations have been announced, a final ballot, listing the five final nominees, is mailed to the members requesting that each member select one nominee in each category. The completed ballot is returned to the accounting firm.
Results and Announcement:
The final results are known only by the accounting firm and are kept secret until the announcement at the Golden Globe Awards ceremony.